larwe.com logo Home Contact Resume Writing Technical projects Scout restoration Vintage computing
cover

Interested in developing high-performance embedded systems on a shoestring budget? Click the image above to buy my first book from Amazon! See the homepage for info on my other books...


Day 6 - Gas Tank Sealed?


(unless otherwise specified, all images in this page can be clicked to view a MUCH larger version).


12/23/05 - Early dismissal from work, and I've got six days to myself (not counting Christmas). Since it was warm out, as soon as I got home I wanted to try out that PR-1422B-2 sealant on the tank, and clean/paint the shield plate. I bought a new paint-stripping disc for my drill, and attacked the plate... Argh!! After stripping off a good percentage of the rust, I found a couple more tiny holes. So I taped and J-B Welded these spots, and I'll finish the cleanup and prime the piece tomorrow morning.

On to more exciting stuff. First, I removed the duct tape from the gas tank leaks. You can see how the adhesive was turned into sticky goop by the gas fumes. I used a rag and lacquer thinner to clean off the remaining adhesive. I scrubbed with a Scotchbrite abrasive pad, something like an extra-tough dish scourer, to remove as much rust as possible from the tank. I then applied the PR-1422B-2 sealant. This stuff stinks, it's hard to mix by hand, and it's even harder to apply, especially since I don't have the special gun. The texture is something like very sticky, extremely viscous bread dough. I applied it by squeezing a dollop directly onto the surface being sealed, and then used a piece of shiny cardboard (the abrasive pad package, actually) to flatten it out and squeeze it into the surface irregularities. Finally, I stuck the metal patch directly onto the sealed surface. Once this stuff is cured, which will be a few days at current temperatures, I will bead J-B Weld all around the edge of the patch, though I'm not sure this is actually necessary.

I used an entire semkit on this one patch, which is much more than I'd expected. There was quite a bit of waste - stuff I couldn't extrude out of the cartridge, material left stuck on my "squeegee", and so on.

Bizarre result - I started the car, just to warm it up a bit, and noticed that it runs MUCH more smoothly and requires almost no choke to get started. Furthermore, I can push the choke back in all the way and the engine still runs happily. I am now wondering if having that hole allowing air into the tank was affecting the fuel pump somehow. I haven't adjusted, tweaked or tuned anything under the hood, so I don't see what else it could be!

Minor update, 12/24/05: Primed the shield plate... Waiting for sealant to cure... Film at eleven.

Go on to Day 7...


larwe.com and all original content herein is © Copyright 2005 by Lewin A.R.W. Edwards. "larwe.com" is a trademark protected under U.S. and international law. Infringement or attempted dilution of the intellectual property rights held by Lewin A.R.W. Edwards will be prosecuted to the fullest possible extent.