larwe.com logo Home Contact Resume Writing Technical projects Scout restoration Vintage computing

Book 3

My third book is released! Learn what you'll need to know in order to become an embedded engineer.


Book 2

Check out my second book; learn practical stuff about building robots and control systems around Linux PCs and the Atmel AVR.


Book 1

My first book gives you all the intro you need on developing 32-bit embedded systems on a hobbyist budget.

Day 16 - Cannibalism

05/27/07 - As briefly mentioned on Day 15, I just acquired a parter Scout. This machine has been pretty butchered but basically I was just buying it for the engine. The bottom line is that I asked around for an engine, and found that I could have the whole truck for $980 delivered. While this truck was a bit of a pig in a poke (no prior inspection; I was just told it was in rough condition and had no transmission or transfer case, but some salvageable parts besides the engine), I'm quite pleased with this purchase. My fiendish master plan is to rebuild the engine in vitro, then swap it into my Scout. In the process, I'm learning a heck of a lot about how these trucks are put together. For instance, I wasn't at all clear on how the pedals attached to the brake and clutch master cylinders; now I know, I think I will try to fix up the fact that my truck's clutch has very little travel. I've also bitten the bullet and ordered a welder; I'll be practicing some bodywork on this beast before I let loose on my real truck. Apart from anything else, though, it's a real big help to know how many bolts are holding down each component, and how hard you're going to have to tug to separate things once all the fasteners are removed.

So, what exactly is this monstrous thing I just bought? Well, it used to be a standard Scout 80 4x4 (although there are anomalies, and the seller said it was actually an 800 despite having sliding windows and vacuum wiper motors at the top of the windshield), and it was supposed to be the 152cid engine. Factory color was green-blue, same color as my truck, but someone sprayed it a hellish red. I call the truck Christine, only I'm pretty sure this one won't be coming back to life. During its lifespan, some mad butcher chopped up the front bumper to install a plow. The hydraulic pump was lashed onto a crazy arrangement of angle iron welded onto the generator mount, and an additional idler was installed. (You can see this arrangement in the "before" picture below). The grille was punctured to run out the hydraulic hose right where the IH logo used to be. All kinds of bits of sheet aluminium are pop-riveted on to cover holes. There are no seats, and all sorts of rodent and insect nests/leftovers (acorn shells by the bushel!). When the transmission was removed, the engine was pulled back and down, and to be honest I'm not even sure what's keeping it off the ground at the moment; you won't catch me working under it! The gas tank is presumably rotted, since it was disconnected and instead there was a plastic gas can in front of the radiator. I'm getting a strong feeling of deja vu as I look over this truck; in fact, I think I might have seen it on eBay at some stage.

Some puzzlement and sadness, though. First, if you zoom into the picture on the left of this paragraph, and focus in where the red arrow is pointing, you'll see that the bolt securing the oil dipstick is through the TOP hole on the bracket. This fact is secret IH code for "this is the 196cid engine"; if you look back to Day 10 you'll see that this bolt is in the BOTTOM hole on my 152cid. The engine also has a carburetor I don't recognize; zoom in on the picture above and you might be able to identify it (if so, I'd appreciate it if you drop me a line). The generator is also pretty heavy-duty looking; it's at least twice the weight of the alt in my Scout! The flywheel is still in the bellhousing, which is handy, and there are lots of good parts on the dash. Axles and wheels are in nice shape and will clean up well. Unfortunately, there is some bad news, though hopefully not major. Biggest problem is some broken cast parts; one of the mounting lugs is broken off the generator, and worse, one of the screw holes around where a coolant pipe goes into the engine has also broken off. The latter should be repairable by J-B Welding a nut onto the block. The fuel pump is AWOL.

Amazingly, I have yet to break a single bolt or screw on the "new" Scout; they all seem to be slithering out like they were buttered before being screwed in. This fills me with hope that I'll be able to do the rebuild on my Scout easily. I took the engine from the picture on the left to the picture on the right (plus I removed the distributor) in about 2/3rds of a day. That's the radiator, all hoses, generator, water pump, hydraulic pump, exhaust manifold, cabin air circulator fan, air-carrying plenum just on the engine side of the firewall, and the master brake cylinder.


larwe.com and all original content herein is © Copyright 2007 by Lewin A.R.W. Edwards. "larwe.com" is a trademark protected under U.S. and international law. Infringement or attempted dilution of the intellectual property rights held by Lewin A.R.W. Edwards will be prosecuted to the fullest possible extent.